Monday, November 5, 2012

What I've Been Up To - Part II

Over the past couple of months, as I've been doing less writing and blogging, I've been focusing my creative energy elsewhere. One of the weird things about pregnancy (at least in my case) has been an inability to sleep enough to not be tired anytime, but an inability to be awake enough to do anything which requires a significant amount of my brain (like writing).

So, I turned my attention to crafts which require only that I focus on what I'm doing and follow instructions rather than requiring the invention of new worlds, character motivations, or plots. What came of that was 1 completely finished and one nearly completed Christmas stocking. The completed stocking is for my (as of yet, unborn) daughter. The second, nearly complete one is for my husband and should be done before Christmas. The third one, the not-yet-started one, is mine.

My original plan was to complete all three before baby is born, but due to some complications, she needs to come early. Which means that I probably won't be able to finish (or even start) the last stocking by Christmas. My first thought upon realizing this: "And so this is how it begins...my daughter and husband will always have everything, and I will have nothing."

The words sound a bit bleak though if you don't read them with a hint of sarcasm and a smile. And realize that I was actually thinking of my own Mom when I thought this. Because that's exactly how it was growing up - she made sure that my sister and I had everything, then came her husband, and when we were all taken care of, it was finally her turn. Only, there often wasn't time for her. But somehow, she never seemed to mind. She was just so happy (honestly, genuinely happy, people!) to see everyone else taken care of and happy.
This morning I'm headed to the hospital and, if I'm lucky, I'll get to meet my own daughter by the end of the day. I couldn't be more excited!!!

On that note, I'll be taking a break from the blogosphere, email, and Twitter - no internet in the hospital anyways ;) - so please excuse me if I fail to respond to any messages for awhile. But, I'll be back, probably before you know it. Happy writing everyone and I hope all you NaNoWriMo-ers out there win!!!!

8 comments:

  1. O so exciting - soon your little one will be with you on the outside. I'll be thinking of you and your little girl tonight! And I'll be just a little bit jealous of the wonder and joy you'll have when you finally meet your little one for the very first time! I know, I know, I shouldn't be jealous, not with two of my own ... but ooo, newborn baby! I think the first meeting between parent and child is one of the most truly magical things in the world! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOLY COW I didn't even know you were pregnant. I'm the worst CP ever! CONGRATULATIONS! I'm so happy for you!! Good luck, and say hello to your little girl for me when she enters the world! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I hope you're now the mother of a healthy, beautiful baby girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I hope all is going well and mommy and baby are getting rest! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope all went well with the birth! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you soooo much everyone for your comments :) The birth did go well (as well as can be expected, lol) and I am fully immersed in the joys, frustrations, and apparent time-warp of being home with a newborn. A schedule is beginning to take shape however and I hope to be back to blogging and writing within the next month or so. I miss you all and can't wait to catch up on your blogs and see what everyone's been up to while I've been away!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!!! Kassel... Congrats on your new born. I haven't heard from you in a long time and somehow just found your blog and to see you have a daughter now. I hope everything is going well and glad you are doing ok in Berlin! Hope to hear from you soon!

    Vinh

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on such a creative year! I just dropped by having neglected you since the last A to Z Challenge. I hope you are well and enjoying motherhood. To everything there is a season. Hope to find you well and happy online at some stage in the future.

    Jemima at Jemima's blog

    ReplyDelete