Thursday, February 23, 2012

On crits ... and making sense of it all

Critique: One of the most confounding and yet simultaneously rewarding steps of writing a manuscript. I love critting - and I love receiving crits of my work! (especially ones which use words like "love" and "well-written") But, when it comes time to make sense of the criticism, things can get tricky. Everyone has an opinion, and those opinions are seldom unanimous. 

When I first started writing, I doled out my words in pre-measured spoonfuls to one, maybe two people. And then I revised based on the feedback I received. Which was great! Except...the next round of critters didn't always agree with the revisions. Some even sent me back in the direction of the original manuscript. Yikes! So I joined online writing communities like Inkpop, Absolute Write, and Scribophile. I posted my work (after spending hours critting other people's work first, of course) for hundreds, thousands of people who didn't know me or care about hurting my feelings to see. And I nearly wore out my "refresh" key as the feedback came in. It was amazing - I had so many new ideas about how to fix the problems the critters were finding in my work. 

Only, some of the feedback was contradictory and I didn't know which comments I should toss vs. the comments I should take to heart. I fiddled with my manuscript, tried to please critter #1 without losing what critter #7 found so fantastic. And suddenly, I didn't recognize my own work anymore. I tossed the new revision and let the feedback simmer in the back of my mind until I was ready for it. And then I realized, some of the feedback didn't have anything to do with my writing at all. Some of the feedback was more about the reader. I can't always anticipate, or control the reaction a reader has to my work. All I can do is remain true to my main character's (MC) voice and perspective.

Here's a two-line excerpt from DAUGHTER OF THE MOON which generated wildly different reactions:

Original Text:
The dream still felt familiar, as they all did, but unlike any others before it, this dream had left an impression on her soul. Even the air felt heavy with significance.

Critique #1,  #5, #6 and #7: (No comments from the critter)

Critique #2:
The dream still felt familiar, as they all did, but unlike any others before it, this dream had left an impression on her soul. Even the air felt heavy with significance??

Critique #3:
The dream still felt familiar, as they all did, but unlike any others before it, this dream had left an impression on her soul. What does an impression on a soul feel like? I know we can all resonate with an impression on our minds, but what makes this feeling different? Even the air felt heavy with significance.

Critique #4:
It still felt familiar, as they all did, but unlike any others before it, this dream had left an impression on her soul (would she know it was her soul?), somewhere deep within. Even the air felt heavy with significance the lingering scent of mist, and something else, like charred matter (or something, you get my drift, I think 'significance' lacks significance here).

Critique #8
The dream still felt familiar, as they all did, but unlike any others before it, this dream had left an impression on her soul. (I think I can imagine what that feels like, though it does sound a bit cliched and melodramatic.)Even the air felt heavy with significance. (Similar to Poe's "The Raven": "Then methought, the air grew denser, perfumed from an unseen censer"...nice allusion...)

Critique #9:
The dream still felt familiar, as they all did, but unlike any others before it, this dream had left an impression on her soulThe wording here needs to be altered. Some people would scoff at the idea that 'one dream' could leave an impression on someone's soul. Even the air felt heavy with significance.

Nearly half of those who commented didn't seem to think it was possible for an experience to leave an impression on the soul. One didn't seem to think it was impossible, and the rest didn't mention anything about these two sentences. Personally, I don't know what I think about the human soul - but I know how my MC sees the matter. So I left the sentence alone.

4 comments:

  1. This is a really interesting analysis of the different critiques! I think you're definitely right about the comments being more about the reader's own thoughts than your writing, which is why it's so important to find a crit partner who's judgement and skills you admire and trust!
    It might be easier to implement/ignore criticism in a way that doesn't affect the authenticity of your own writing as you gain more experience, which I hope is true for your sake and mine.
    I have yet to open up my WIP to any criticism because it's still early on, but I have no idea how I'm going to handle it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree about finding the right CPs - ones who understand your vision and style! But I've also learned just how important it is to get a wide range of feedback, especially in the beginning. It's easy to discredit a single negative critique and even easier to agree with a glowing critique, but when multiple CPs all notice a weak spot, then it most likely deserves a second look. And if I decide not to make the suggested changes, then I know it's a conscious decision and not just an oversight on my part :)

      I wish you all the best of luck with your WIP - maybe I'll see some of it on AW or Scribophile when you decide you're ready for critique.

      Delete

      Delete
  2. Hmm. Like any other part of the writing process, learning how to read critiques takes practice. It's one thing to stay true to your MC. It's entirely another to revise based on writing cliches, overused commas or imagery that doesn't work. Finding the perfect CP - the one you can trust to stay out of your storybuilding and into your word building - is tricky but worth the search.
    After all, the only editor that really matters is the one who will pay you for your work. ;)
    Found you from YAHighway. *waves*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melodie and thanks for coming over from YAHighway *waves back* :D

      You are right - interpreting (and applying) critique is tricky and it can be hard to differentiate between holding onto something because you love it (it can be sooo hard to kill a darling!) and holding onto something because it works and is true to your MC. Sometimes CPs can be a little too critical, but that's where the Betas come in - if I decide not to change a line my CPs pointed out to me and the Betas notice it too, then I think its really time to evaluate the purpose of the sentence.

      Delete